• What are safe harbor rules under the Indian transfer pricing regulations?

    Safe harbor rules is a mechanism under which in certain circumstances tax authorities accept the transfer prices declared by tax payer without undertaking detailed audit. The tax authorities have introduced rules prescribing procedure for adopting safe harbor, the transfer price to be adopted, the compliance procedures upon adoption of safe harbor and the circumstances in which a safe harbor adopted may be held to be invalid.

    The categories of international transactions covered under the safe harbor provisions include:

    • Provision of software development services
    • Provision of IT enabled services
    • Provision of knowledge process outsourcing services
    • Advancing of intra-group loans
    • Provision of corporate guarantee
    • Provision of contract research and development services
    • Manufacturing and export of auto components
    • Receipt of low value adding intragroup services
  • Which transaction is classified as “international transaction”?

    The term international transaction as defined under Section 92B of the Act as:

    • Purchase, sale or lease of tangible or intangible property
    • Provision of services
    • Lending or borrowing of money or capital financing, including any type of long-term or short-term borrowing, lending or guarantee; purchase or sale of marketable securities or any type of advance, payments or deferred payment or receivable; or any other debt arising during the course of business
    • A mutual agreement or arrangement for cost allocation or apportionment
    • A transaction of business restructuring or reorganization
    • Any other transaction having a bearing on the profits, income, losses or assets of such enterprises
  • Does Indian transfer pricing law have an Advance Pricing Agreement (APA) program?

    APA is a binding agreement between the taxpayer and tax authority to determine in advance, a set of criteria that would govern the transfer prices for covered inter-company transactions for a fixed period of time.

    The APA regime has been introduced in India effective 01 July 2012. The APA rules provide an option for taxpayers to seek a unilateral, bilateral or multilateral APA. It can be valid for up to five years and additionally for a period of four consecutive previous years.

    The APA filing process includes an optional pre-filing submission, the filing of the APA request, negotiation of the APA, execution and monitoring. Taxpayers are required to prepare and file an annual compliance report for each year under the APA. It helps that taxpayer in attaining certainty on the transfer price adopted and assists in mitigating the risks of litigation for the period covered under APA.

  • When do the transfer pricing regulations apply to an enterprise?

    An enterprise is required to comply with the transfer pricing regulations when:

    • The taxpayer has entered into an international transaction or a specific domestic transaction (within India)
    • With an associated enterprise outside India, (international transaction) or within India (specific domestic transaction)
  • What are the scenarios under which Form FC-TRS is required to be filed?

    Form FC-TRS shall be required to be filed within sixty days of receipt/ remittance of funds or transfer of capital instruments whichever is earlier, under the following scenarios for transfer of capital instruments by way of sale:

    • From a person resident outside India holding capital instruments in an Indian company on a repatriable basis to a person resident outside India holding capital instruments on a non-repatriable basis
    • From a person resident outside India holding capital instruments in an Indian company on non-repatriable basis to a person resident outside India holding capital instruments on repatriable basis
    • From a person resident outside India holding capital instruments in an Indian company on repatriable basis to a person resident in India
    • From a person resident in India holding capital instruments in an Indian company to a person resident outside India holding capital instruments on repatriable basis
    • By a person resident outside on a recognized stock exchange
  • Is a Liaison Office (LO) in India of Foreign corporation subject to TP Provisions?

    The residential status of LO in India of an enterprise outside India is that of a “non-resident” for Indian tax purposes. Since the LO is not taxable in India as they do not indulge in income generating activities, transfer pricing provisions are not applicable for LO. However, if a LO constitutes a PE in India, it will be subject to tax in India and will be subject to an appropriate attribution of profit generated by the foreign enterprise from its operations in India.

  • What are the penal consequences for under-reporting or misreporting of income?

    The penal consequences for non-compliance with Indian transfer pricing regulations are as follows in case of under-reporting or misreporting of income:

    1. A sum equal to 50% of the amount of tax payable on under-reported income
    2. A sum equal to 200% of the amount of tax payable on under-reported income where under-reported income is in consequence of any misreporting
  • Do the transfer pricing rules apply in respect of transactions between head office (HO) and a branch office/project office?

    Where a foreign enterprise has a BO/PO in India, the BO/PO would constitute a non-resident for Indian tax purposes and a separate enterprise under Section 92F(iii) of the Act. Accordingly, the transaction between the BO/PO and the HO will constitute as an international transaction under section 92B of the Act and will be required to meet the arm’s length criteria from an Indian transfer pricing perspective.

    For more information, click here.

  • What are the penal consequences for non-compliance with the Indian Transfer Pricing regulations?

    In case of failure to maintain Transfer Pricing documentation, failure to report the transaction, maintenance or furnishing of incorrect information/document, there is a penalty of 2% of the value of each international/specified domestic transaction.


  • What are the documents required to be maintained by a company while executing an international transaction?

    Transfer pricing documentation requirements are provided under Section 92D of the Act and Rule 10D of the Income-tax Rules, 1962 (Rules).

    The categories of documentation required are:

    • Ownership structure
    • Profile of the multinational group
    • Business description
    • Nature and terms (including prices) of international transactions
    • Description of functions performed, risks assumed and assets employed
    • Record of any financial estimates
    • Record of uncontrolled transaction with third parties and a comparability evaluation
    • Description of methods considered
    • Reasons for rejection of alternative methods
    • Details of transfer pricing adjustments
    • Any other information or data relating to the associated enterprise that may be relevant for determining the arm’s-length price

    A list of additional optional documents is provided in Rule 10D(3).

    In addition, the taxpayer is required to obtain and furnish an Accountant’s Certificate (Form 3CEB) regarding maintenance of documentation. This has to be filed irrespective of the transaction value.

  • What are the guidelines regarding registration of a work under the Copyright Act 1957?

    Chapter XIII of the Copyright Rules, 2013, as amended, sets out the procedure for the registration of a work. Copies of the Act and Rules can be obtained from the Manager of Publications, Publication Branch, Civil Lines, Delhi or his authorized dealers on payment or download from the Copyright Office web-site, link.

  • Can an individual file for registration of copyright of a work without professional assistance?

    Yes. Any individual who is an author or rights owner or assignee or legal heir can file application for copyright of a work either at the copyright office or by post or by e-filing facility from the copyright Office web-site "www.copyright.gov.in"

    For more information, click here.

  • What is the fee for getting work registered under the copyright act?

    The fee is not reimbursable in case of rejection of the application. The fee can be paid by postal order/demand draft/online payment payable to “registrar of copyrights, New Delhi. 

    For information on the fee for getting work registered under the copyright act, click here


  • Where can I file application for registration of copyright for a work?

    The Copyright Office has been set up to provide registration facilities to all types of works and is headed by a Registrar of Copyrights and is located at 4th Floor Jeevan Deep Building, New Delhi- 110 001. The applications for registration of works can be filled at the counter provided at the Copyright Office from 2.30 P.M. to 4.30. P.M. from Monday to Friday. The applications are also accepted by post. On-line registration through “E-filing facility “has been provided from 14th February 2014, which facilitates the applicants to file applications at the time and place chosen by them.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is the procedure for registration of a work under the Copyright Act, 1957?

    The procedure for registration is as follows:
     1) Application for registration is to be made on Form
     2) Separate applications should be made for registration of each work.
     3) Each application should be accompanied by the requisite fee prescribed in the second schedule to the Rules.
     4) The applications should be signed by the applicant or the advocate in whose favour a Vakalatnama or Power of Attorney has been executed.
     5) The fee is either in the form of Demand Draft, Indian Postal Order favouring ‘Registrar Of Copyright Payable At New Delhi’ or through E-payment

    For more information, click here.

  • Can stamps. Labels, tokens, cards be considered an article for the purpose of registration of Design?

    No. Because once the alleged Design i.e., ornamentation is removed only a piece of paper, metal or like material remains and the article referred ceases to exist. Article must have its existence independent of the Designs applied to it.

    For more information, click here.

  • How does a registration of design stop other people from exploiting?

    Once a design is registered, it gives the legal right to bring an action against those persons (natural/legal entity) who infringe the design right, in the Court not lower than District Court in order to stop such exploitation and to claim any damage to which the registered proprietor is legally entitled.

    For more information, click here.

  • Whether it is possible to transfer the right of ownership for a design under The Design Act 2000?

    Yes, it is possible to transfer the right through assignment, agreement, transmission with terms and condition in writing or by operation of law. However, certain restrictive conditions not being the subject matter of protection relating to registration of design should not be included in the terms and condition of the contract/agreement etc.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is the object of registration of Designs under the Design Act?

    Object of the Design Act is to protect new or original designs so created to be applied or applicable to particular article to be manufactured by Industrial Process or means.

    For more information, click here.

  • Can the application for registration of design be filed by the applicant himself only or through a professional person under the Design Act 2000?

    The application for registration of design can be filed by the applicant himself or through a professional person (i.e. patent agent, legal practitioner). However, for the applicants not resident of India an agent residing in India has to be employed.

    For more information, click here.

  • How to get information on registration of design?

    After registration of designs the best view of the article along with other bibliographic data will be notified in the Official Journal of The Patent Office, which is being published on every Friday.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is defined as an article under the Designs Act?

    Under the Designs Act, 2000 the "article" means any article of manufacture and any substance, artificial, or partly artificial and partly natural; and includes any part of an article capable of being made and sold separately.

    For more information, click here.

  • Can the same applicant make an application for the same design again, if the prior application has been abandoned?

    Yes, the same applicant can apply again since no publication of the abandoned application is made by the Patent Office, provided the applicant does not publish the said design in the meanwhile.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is the penalty for using a registered design under the design act?

    If anyone contravenes the copyright in a design, he is liable for every offence to pay a sum not exceeding INR25,000/- to the registered proprietor subject to a maximum of INR50,000/- recoverable as contract debt in respect of any one design.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is meant by ‘Design’ under the Designs Act, 2000?

     ‘Design’ means only the features of shape, configuration, pattern or ornament or composition of lines or colour or combination thereof applied to any article whether two dimensional or three dimensional or in both forms, by any industrial process or means, whether manual, mechanical or chemical, separate or combined, which in the finished article appeal to and are judged solely by the eye, but does not include any mode or principle or construction or anything which is in substance a mere mechanical device, and does not include any trade mark.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is the function of a trademark? (Under the Trade Marks Act 1999)

    Under modern business condition a trademark performs four functions: 

    1) It identifies a good/service and its origin.
    2) It guarantees its unchanged quality.
    3) It advertises the goods/services.
    4) It creates an image for good/services.

    For further details please access following link.


  • Under the Trade Marks Act 1999, who benefits from a trademark?

    The registered proprietor of a trademark can create, establish and protect the goodwill of his products or services. He/she can stop traders from unlawfully using his trademark, sue for damages and secure destruction of infringing goods or labels.

    The government earns revenue as a fee for registration and protection of registration of trademark.

    The legal professionals render services to the entrepreneurs regarding selection, registration and protection of trademarks and get remuneration for the same. The purchaser and ultimately consumers of goods and services get options to choose the best.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is a trademark?(Under the Trade Marks Act 1999)

    A trademark (popularly known as brand name) is a visual symbol which may be a word signature, name, device, label, numerals or combination of colours used by one undertaking on goods or services or other articles of commerce to distinguish it from other similar goods or services originating from a different undertaking.

    For more information, click here.

  • Is there any provision for early examination of patent application?

    There is no provision for filing a request for early examination of patent application. The applications are examined in the order in which requests for examination are filed. However, an express request for examination before expiry of 31 months can be made in respect of the applications filed under Patent Cooperation Treaty known as National Phase applications by payment of the prescribed fee.

    For more information, click here.

  • Is it necessary to file a provisional application for Patents?

    Generally, when an invention is not complete an application can be filed with provisional specification which is known as provisional application. This is useful in establishing a priority date for your invention.

    For more information, click here.

  • What are the contents of the Patent Office Journal?

    The Patent office Journal contains information relating to patent applications which are published u/s 11A, post grant publication, restoration of patent, notifications, list of nonworking patents and public notices issued by the Patent Office.

    For more information, click here.

  • Is it possible to file international application under Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) in India?

    Yes, it is possible to file an international application known as PCT application in India in the Patent Offices located at Kolkata, Chennai, Mumbai, and Delhi. All these offices act as Receiving Offices (RO) for International application.  

    For address of these offices, website is: www.ipIndia.nic.in

    For more information, click here.

  • What is a Patent?

    A Patent is a statutory right for an invention granted for a limited period of time to the patentee by the Government, in exchange of full disclosure of his invention for excluding others, from making, using, selling, importing the patented product or process for producing that product for those purposes without his consent.

    For more information, click here.

  • Where can one find the information relating to published/ granted patent application?

    The information relating to the patent application is published in the Patent Office Journal issued on every Friday. This is also available in electronic form on the website of the Patent Office, www.ipindia.nic.in

    For more information, click here.


  • What can be patented?

    An invention relating either to a product or process that is new, involving inventive step and capable of industrial application can be patented.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is the term of a patent in the Indian system?

    The term of every patent granted is 20 years from the date of filing of application. However, for application filed under national phase under Patent Cooperation Treaty(PCT), the term of patent will be 20 years from the international filing date accorded under PCT.

    For more information, click here.

  • What happens to a patent application once it is examined?

    After examination, the Patent Office issues an examination report to the applicant, which is generally known as First Examination Report (FER). Thereafter, the applicant is required to comply with the requirements within a period of twelve months from the date of FER. In case, the application is found to be in order for grant, the patent is granted, provided there is no pre-grant opposition filed or pending.

    For more information, click here.

  • Who can apply for a patent? (Under The Patents Act 1970)

    A patent application can be either filled by true and first inventor or his assignee, either alone or jointly with any other person. However, legal representative of any deceased person can also make an application for patent. 

    For further details please access following link.

  • Is the employer obliged to employ people sponsored by employment exchanges under the act?

    No, the employer is not obliged to select or employ a person sponsored by the Employment Exchanges Act, 1959.

    For more information, click here.


  • Earlier I employed 22 Labourers, now I have reduced to 18 workmen, whether my establishment has to continue with the Labour license or surrender under the Contract Labour (R&A) Act, 1970?

    Yes, your establishment will continue to be covered under the provisions of the Contract Labour (R&A) Act, 1970 for a period of one year from the day on which 20 or more workmen were lastly employed.

    For further details please access following link.

  • What are the registers to be maintained under Act?

    Register showing the name of date of birth of every child so employed or permitted to work, hours and periods of work of any such child and intervals of rest, the nature of work of any such child.

    For more information, click here.

  • Can an employee give up his rights under the minimum wages act?

    Any contract or agreement, whether made before or after the commencement of this Act, whereby an employee either relinquishes or reduces his right to a minimum rate of wages or any privilege or concession accruing to him under this Act shall be null and void. (Section 25).

    For more information, click here.


  • What is the procedure for the issuance of a duplicate license under the Contract Labour (R&A) Act, 1970?

    A fee of  US$ 0.075 to be remitted along with a request under the Contract Labour (R&A) Act, 1970.

    For further details please access following link.

  • What are the notices to be displayed under the Act and list of actions that are considered as misconduct at workplace?

    An abstract of  Section 3 and 14 of the Act in Local Language and English.
    List of actions are:

    •Willful insubordination or disobedience, whether or not in combination with another, of any lawful and reasonable order of a superior.
    •Going on illegal strike or abetting, inciting, instigating or acting in furtherance thereof;
    •Willful slowing down in performance of work, or abetment or instigation thereof;
    •Theft, fraud or dishonesty in connection with the employers’ business or property or the theft or property of another workman within the premises of the establishment;
    •Taking or giving bribes or any illegal gratification;
    •Habitual absence without leave, or absence without leave for more than ten consecutive days or overstaying the sanctioned leave without sufficient grounds or proper or satisfactory explanation;
    •Habitual breach of any Standing Order or any law applicable to the establishment or ant rules made there under;
    •Collection without the permission of the Manager of any money within the premises of the establishment except as sanctioned by any law for the time being in force;
    •Engaging in trade within the premises of the establishment;
    •drunkenness, riotous, disorderly or indecent behavior on the premises of the establishment;
    •Commission of any act subversive of discipline or good behavior on the premises of the establishment;
    •Habitual neglect of work, or gross or habitual negligence;
    •Habitual breach of ant rules or instruction for the maintenance and running of any department, or the maintenance of the cleanliness of any portion of the establishment;
    •Habitual commission of any act or commission for which a fine may be imposed under the Payment of Wages Act, 1936.
    •Canvassing for union membership, or the collection of union dues within the premises of the establishment except in accordance with any law or with the permission of the Manager
    •Willful damage to work in process or to any property of the establishment;
    •holding meeting inside the premises of the establishment without the previous permission of the Manager or except in accordance with the provisions of any la for the time being in force;
    •Disclosing to any unauthorised person any information in regard to the processes of the establishment which may come into the possession of the workman in the course of his work;
    •Gambling within the premises of the establishment;
    •Smoking or spitting on the premises of the establishment where it is prohibited by the employer;
    •Failure to observe safety instructions notified b the employer or interference with any safety device or equipment installed within the establishment;
    •Distributing or exhibiting within the premises of the establishment hand-bills, pamphlets, posters, and such other things or causing to be displayed  by means of signs or writing or other visible representation on any matter without previous sanction of the Manager;
    •Refusal to accept a charge-sheet, order or other communication served I accordance with these Standing Orders;
    •Unauthorised possession of any lethal weapon in the establishment.

  • Can employees go to a civil court for recovering minimum wages payable under the minimum wages act?

    The Act prohibits Civil Courts from entertaining any suit for recovery of minimum wages payable under the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 (Section 24).

    For more information, click here.


  • Is a subcontractor supposed to take License under the Contract Labour (R&A) Act, 1970?

    If principal employer endorses the name of sub-contractor in the agreement, after having Form V from principal employer, a subcontractor is requested to take license under the Contract Labour (R&A) Act, 1970.

    For further details please access following link.

  • After what age can a person start working in India?

    In India, child below 14 years cannot be employed. However, there are following exceptions which includes non-hazardous family enterprises and child working as an artist in an audio-visual entertainment industry.

    Additionally, a child above 14 years but below 15 years of age can be employed only for 4.5 hours a day and cannot work during the night.

    For more information, click here.

  • Is an employer required to maintain any register and record under the Minimum Wages Act, 1948?

    Every employer must maintain a muster-roll-cum-wage register and also a bound inspection book. (Rule 27 & 28) of the Minimum Wages Act, 1948.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is the way in which maximum permissible non-public shareholding has been derived?

    Maximum permissible non-public shareholding is derived based on the minimum public shareholding requirement under the Securities Contracts (Regulations) Rules 1957 (SCRR). Rule 19A of SCRR requires all listed companies (other than public sector companies) to maintain public shareholding of at least 25% of share capital of the company. Thus, by deduction, the maximum number of shares which can be held by promoters i.e. maximum permissible non-public shareholding in a listed company (other than public sector companies) is 75% of the share capital.

    For more information, click here.

  • What does the term combination mean under mergers and acquisitions?

    Any Merger or Amalgamation that meets the below threshold limits is considered as combination:

    1. Enterprise Level
      1. India : Assets > Rs 2,000 cr. Or Turnover > Rs. 6,000 Cr
      2. Worldwide (India component) : Assets > $ 1Bn with Rs. 1000 cr in India Or Turnover > $ 3Bn with Rs. 3,000 Cr in India
    2. Group Level
      1. India: Assets > Rs 8,000 cr. Or Turnover > Rs. 24,000 Cr
      2. Worldwide (India Component): Assets > $ 4Bn with Rs. 1000 cr in India Or Turnover > $ 12Bn with Rs. 3,000 Cr in India

                For more information, click here.  

  • What is the meaning of a voluntary open offer?

    A voluntary open offer under Regulation 6, is an offer made by a person who himself or through persons acting in concert, if any, holds 25% or more shares or voting rights in the target company but less than the maximum permissible non-public shareholding limit.

    For more information, click here.

  • Does one need to notify CCI in case they are acquiring less than 25% of equity shares of a listed company from a secondary market?

    The acquisition of up to 25% shares where the acquirer does not acquire control and the acquisition is solely as an investment or in ordinary course of business, need not normally be notified to the CCI for prior approval.

    For more information, click here.


  • Do all acquisitions of shares in excess of the prescribed limits and/or control lead to an open offer?

    No, in respect of certain acquisitions, SAST Regulations, 2011 provide exemption from the requirements of making an open offer, subject to certain conditions being fulfilled. For example, acquisition pursuant to inter- se transfer of shares between certain categories of shareholders, acquisition in the ordinary course of business by entities like underwriter registered with SEBI, stock brokers, merchant bankers acting as stabilizing agent, Scheduled Commercial Bank (SCB), acting as an escrow agent, etc.

    For further details please access following link. 

  • What are the applicable competition laws/rules/regulations in respect of merger, amalgamations and acquisition transactions?

    Following statutory provisions apply to mergers, amalgamations and acquisitions from competition law perspective:
    1) Competition Act, 2002.
    2) The Competition Commission of India (Procedure in regard to the transaction of business relating to combinations) Regulations, 2011.
    3) The Competition Commission of India (General) Regulations, 2009:
    i) Notification No. S.O. 93(E) dated January 8, 2013
    ii) Notification No. S.O. 673(E) dated March 4, 2016
    iii) Notification No. S.O. 674(E) dated March 4, 2016
    iv) Notification No. S.O. 675(E) dated March 4, 2016
    v) Notification No. S.O. 988(E) dated March 29, 2017
    vi) Notification No. S.O. 2039(E) dated June 29, 2017
    For further details please access following link.

  • What is the validity of an open offer?

    Ten days

    For more information, click here

  • What are the important regulations pertaining to mergers and acquisitions in India?

    The key laws governing M&A in India are:

    • Companies Act, 1956 and 2013
    • Income Tax Act, 1961
    • Competition Act, 2002
    • Foreign Exchange Management Act.

    The key regulations governing M&A in India are:

    • Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
    • Takeover code of SEBI.
    • Reserve Bank of India.
    • Competition Commission of India.
  • What does the minimum level of acceptance mean under Sebi takeover code?

    'Minimum level of acceptance’ implies minimum number of shares which the acquirer desires under the said conditional offer. If the number of shares validly tendered in the conditional offer are less than the minimum level of acceptance stipulated by the acquirer, then the acquirer is not bound to accept any shares under the offer.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is an open offer under the SAST Regulations, 2011, Under which situations is an open offer required to be made by an acquirer?

    An open offer is an offer made by the acquirer to the shareholders of the target company inviting them to tender their shares in the target company at a particular price. The primary purpose of an open offer is to provide an exit option to the shareholders of the target company on account of the change in control or Substantial acquisition of shares, occurring in the target company.
    If an acquirer has agreed to acquire or acquired control over a target company or shares or voting rights in a target company which would be in excess of the threshold limits, then the acquirer is required to make an open offer to shareholders of the target company.

    For further details please access following link.

  • What is tax residency under Income Tax Act in India?

    According to Section 6, Income-tax Act, 1961-2019:

    1.An individual is said to be resident in India in any previous year, if he—

    • is in India in that year for a period or periods amounting in all to one hundred and eighty-two days or more; or
    • having within the four years preceding that year been in India for a period or periods amounting in all to three hundred and sixty-five days or more, is in India for a period or periods amounting in all to sixty days or more in that year 2.

    2. A Hindu undivided family, firm or other association of persons is said to be resident in India in any previous year in every case except where during that year the control and management of its affairs is situated wholly outside India

  • How can a taxpayer lodge the particulars of their income with the tax authorities in India?

    The particulars of income during the relevant tax period can be furnished to the Indian tax authorities by electronically lodging a tax return at the income tax web portal. The summary of relevant steps is as follows:

    • Signing up/registering at the income tax web portal using PAN and other validation details
    • Obtaining Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) for the directors/authorized representatives (who shall verify and sign on behalf of WOS/ Chinese corporation) for e-filing the tax return
    • Filing of tax audit certificate, transfer pricing certificate, etc. (wherever applicable)
    • Paying taxes, if any
    • Filing tax return by selecting appropriate tax return and tax year by affixing DSC at the income tax web portal
  • What are the major direct taxes in India?

    Major direct taxes in India are:

    1. Income Tax
    2. Wealth Tax
    3. Corporation Tax

    For more information, click here 

  • What are the payments to be made in GST regime, who is liable for payment and when is the payment to be made?

    In the GST regime, for any intra-state supply, taxes to be paid are the Central GST (CGST, going into the account of the Central Government) and the State GST (SGST, going into the account of the concerned State Government). For any inter-state supply, tax to be paid is Integrated GST (IGST) which will have components of both CGST and SGST. In addition, certain categories of registered persons will be required to pay to the government account Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) and Tax Collected at Source (TCS). In addition, wherever applicable, Interest, Penalty, Fees and any other payment will also be required to be made. In general the supplier of goods or service is liable to pay GST. However in specified cases like imports and other notified supplies, the liability may be cast on the recipient under the reverse charge mechanism. Further, in some cases, the liability to pay is on the third person (say in the case of e-commerce operator responsible for TCS or Government Department responsible for TDS) At the time of supply of Goods as explained in Section 12 and at the time of supply of services as explained in Section 13. The time is generally the earliest of one of the three events, namely receiving payment, issuance of invoice or completion of supply. Different situations envisaged and different tax points have been explained in the aforesaid sections.

    For further details please access following link.

  • What incomes are taxable under the Income Tax Act?

    Following forms of incomes are taxable for residents, not ordinarily residents and non-residents:
     1) Income which accrues or arises in India.
     2) Income which is deemed to accrue or arise in India.
     3) Income which is received in India.
     4) Income which is deemed to be received in India. Taxed for

    Incomes taxable for residents and not ordinarily residents but not non-residents:
     1) Income accruing outside India from a business controlled from India or from a profession set up in India.
     2) Taxed for ROR but not RNOR, NR.
     3) Income other than above (i.e., income which has no relation with India).

    For more information, click here.

  • Is there a mechanism whereby the recipient of services may be liable to pay GST under reverse charge?

    Yes, there is a mechanism of reverse charge under the GST regime whereby the liability to pay tax is on the recipient of supply of goods and services instead of the supplier of such goods or services. Reverse charge is mostly triggered when a person imports services, receives supply of goods or services from an unregistered vendor and in respect of other notified categories of supply

    For example, if a Chinese company enters into a contract for supply of services to a registered taxable person in India say its Indian subsidiary, then the onus of discharging the GST liability would be casted upon the Indian subsidiary.

    However, in case of unrelated party contracts say government contracts, the bids/contracts preclude the customer from undertaking the GST liability and requires the same to be reimbursed once the GST liability is paid by the customer. In such cases, the GST liability may become cost in the hands of the Chinese company and further there maybe no option of obtaining credit of the said GST paid.

  • What is meant by Alternate Reporting Entity?

    Alternate Reporting Entity means any constituent entity of the international group that has been designated by such group, in the place of the parent entity, to furnish the report of the nature referred to in Section 286(2) of the Act in the country or territory in which the said constituent entity is resident on behalf of such group.

  • Can a person take multiple registration in a state for different business verticals?

    Any person having multiple business verticals within a State or a Union territory, requiring a separate registration for any of its business verticals under sub-section (2) of section 25 shall be granted separate registration in respect of each of the verticals subject to the following conditions:  

    • Such person has more than one business vertical as defined in the Act
    • No business vertical of a taxable person shall be granted registration to pay tax under section 10 if any one of the other business verticals of the same person is paying tax under section 9
    • All separately registered business verticals of such person shall pay tax under this Act on supply of goods or services or both made to another registered business vertical of such person and issue a tax invoice for such supply.

    For more information, click here 

  • Which tax is to be applied by the service provider on invoice issued on or after 1 July 2017 for services rendered up to 30 June 2017?

    The time of supply being issuance of invoice under the CGST Act, 2017, the supplier of services must charge GST in this case. However, where the payment for such supplies has been made (prior to issuance of invoice) as advance before the 1 July 2017, the tax would be payable under the law prevalent prior to 1 July 2017, as the point of taxation had arisen before this date to the extent of the advance.

    For more information, click here.

  • Are there any withholding tax (WHT) obligations in relation to salary payments to expats that has been casted upon the employer under the domestic tax laws?

    Yes, employer is required to withhold taxes on the salary income by applying an average rate and deposit the same by seventh of the following month. For the month of March, the same is required to be deposited by 30 April.

  • Does the RBI provide refinance to banks on providing export?

    As announced in the Sixth Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement, 2014-15 dated February 3, 2015, it has been decided to merge the Export Credit Refinance (ECR) facility with the system level liquidity provision with effect from the fortnight beginning on February 7, 2015. Accordingly, no new refinancing under the ECR will be available after February 6, 2015 and the refinancing availed up to February 6, 2015 may continue till its maturity.

  • Can an IEC number be modified?

    Yes, Modifications in IEC number are  applied online in ANF 2A.

  • In case an EOU is procuring raw material from the indigenous market and then selling the product in the DTA then what is the amount of duty they are required to pay?

    In case an EOU making a product by procuring 100% raw material indigenously, then such product can be sold in the domestic market on payment of basic duty. Department of Revenue Notification No. Cicrular No. 85/2001-Cus., dated 21/12/2001, may please be seen. 

    For more. go to link.

  • Which categories do not need an Importer Exporter Code (IEC)?

    Few categories are exempted from IEC, such as:

    • Ministries/ Departments of Central or State Government,
    • Persons importing or exporting goods for personal use not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture etc.

    Detailed lists of exempt categories and corresponding permanent IEC numbers are given in the section named “IEC No. Exempted Categories" in the link provided below.

    For more information, click here


  • What are the benefits of the LOC to the overseas importer of Indian goods and services?

    Exim Bank has been using the LOC mechanism for promoting India's exports to the traditional as well as new markets in developing countries, which need deferred credit for buying Indian machinery, goods and services. As the LOC is extended by Exim Bank on internationally competitive terms, the overseas importer of Indian goods is allowed access to the credit facility at competitive interest rates. The overseas importer and the Indian exporter do not have to negotiate credit terms separately as the credit arrangement between Exim Bank and the overseas borrower financial institution is already in place. 

  • What is the new policy for import of gold by the banks?

    The new policy for import of gold is yet to be notified by RBI post scrapping of 20: 80 scheme on 28th November 2014 and it is anticipated that this would also be accompanied by some change in duty structure.

  • Does IEC need to be revalidated after a period of time?

    No, IEC need not be revalidated  if the PAN is incorporated in it, but the same needs to be updated for changes in name / address / constitution.

  • How can EOUs get star status?

    As per the present provision given in Chapter 3, paragraph 3.21 of the Foreign Trade Policy, exporters are given recognition as a 1 star export house, 2 star export house, 3 star export house, 4 star export house and 5 star export house etc. The eligibility criteria is:-

    (1) One Star Export House -3 million $

    (2) Two Star Export House – 25 million $

    (3) Three Star Export House - 100 million $

    (4) Four Star Export House -500 million $

    (5) Five Star Export House – 2000 million $ .

  • Can Export /Import be made without Importer Exporter Code?

    No person is allowed to make any import or export without an IEC. IEC forms a primary document for recognition by Govt. of India as an Exporter/ Importer. However, there are a few exceptions listed down by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade.

    For more information, click here.

  • What is the procedure for import of items which is governed through exclusive or special privileges granted to State Trading Enterprises (STE)(s)?

    Any goods, import of which is governed through exclusive or special privileges granted to State Trading Enterprises (STE(s)), may be imported by STE(s) as per conditions specified in ITC (HS). DGFT may, however, grant an Authorisation to any other person to import or export any of these goods under CHAPTER 2 of the Foreign Trade Policy 2015-2020. More details can be obtained from : Link