Touching bullet speeds
India has the fourth-largest railway system in the world, behind only US, Russia and China.
The Indian rail network has 123,542 km of total tracks over a 67,415 km route and about 7,300 stations. The railways run close to 13,523 passenger trains and 9,146 freight trains daily on its network. In the fiscal year ending March 2020, Indian Railways carried 8.1 billion passengers. The Indian railways successfully and transported 1.23 billion tonnes of freight in FY 2020-21 which is 1.93 % higher compared to last year’s loading for the same period. Indian Railways is the single largest employer in India and eighth largest in the world; employing close to 1.3 mn people.
- Vision 2024 has been envisaged to achieve targets of 2024 MT freight loading by 2024
- Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed rail project sanctioned at a total cost of $15 bn
- Indian Railways aims to electrify the entire network by 2023 which will lead to annual energy savings of $1.55 bn
- Broad gauge railways network stands at 64,689 Route kms, of which 71% is electrified
- India Railways is focused on 2,843 km dedicated freight corridors by June 2022 and redevelop 123 railway stations into world-class transit hubs
- Indian Railways has commissioned Wi-Fi at 6,000 Railway stations across the country
- In order to achieve its green mission, Indian Railways has solarised more than 960 stations across
100% FDI allowed in railway infrastructure under the automatic route.
For further details, please refer FDI Policy
Annual Estimated Passengers in 2031
Annual Estimated Freight Demand in 2031
Freight Loading by 2024
- $ bn
Revenue from freight traffic (2021)
4th largest railway system in the world
4th largest rail freight carrier in the world
Single largest employer in India and 8th largest in the world
- Industry Scenario
- FOREIGN INVESTMENT
- INDUSTRY TRENDS
- POLICIES & SCHEMES
The Indian Railways' freight revenues in 2021 were worth $16 bn.
Indian Railways aspires to add about 1.5% to the country’s GDP by building infrastructure to support 45% of the modal freight share of the economy. The Indian Railways clocked a 3% increase in freight revenue in 2020-21 and the quantum of goods loaded grew by 1.93%.
- Two Dedicated Freight Corridors (DFC), one on the Western route (Jawaharlal Nehru Port to Dadri) and another on the Eastern route (Ludhiana to Dankuni), have been fast-tracked.
- Indian Railways has the highest ever planned capital expenditure of $29.5 bn in 2021-22
- The average speed of freight trains has increased to 45.6 kmph in March 2021, marking an 83% increase over the previous year
- Railway Electrification works completed on a total of 6,015 Route kms during 2020-21
Rising passenger & freight traffic
Increasing urbanization, rising incomes (both rural and urban), growing industrialization across the country along with private sector participation
Increasing freight traffic
Growing industrialization across the country
Dedicated freight corridor
Six high-capacity, high-speed dedicated freight corridors
Freight Business Development Portal
One-stop cargo solution for seamless goods transportation
Diamond Quadrilateral network of high-speed rail
Connecting major metros and growth centers of the country
Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan - Self Reliant India
Special economic and comprehensive package of INR 20 lakh crores towards promoting manufacturing in India
Industrial Land Bank Portal
GIS - based map displaying available infrastructure for setting up business operations in the state.
Data On Map
Frequently VIEW ALL
Invest India closely works with
Invest India Timeline
Disclaimer: All views and opinions that may be expressed in the posts on this page as well as post emanating from this page are solely of the individual in his/her personal capacity