Touching bullet speeds
India has the fourth-largest railway system in the world, behind only US, Russia and China.
The Indian Railways consists of a total track length of 126,366 km over 67,956 km of the route along with 7,335 stations. The railways operate 13,523 passenger trains and 9,146 freight trains daily. The railway sector in India has loaded 1418.1 MT of freight during FY 2021-22, registering a 15% increase in freight loading from the last year. Indian Railways is the single largest employer in India and the eighth largest in the world, employing approximately 1.3 Mn people.
- Vision 2024 has been envisaged to achieve targets of 2024 MT freight loading by 2024
- Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed rail project sanctioned at a total cost of $14.27 bn
- The railway sector of India aims to electrify the entire network by 2023 which will lead to annual energy savings of $1.55 bn
- Record electrification of 6,366 RKMs has been achieved in IR history during FY 2021-22. As of 30.11.2022, 83% of the total Broad-Gauge network has been electrified. During 2022-23, electrification of 1,973 Route km (2,647 TKM) was achieved, which is 41% higher compared to the corresponding 2021-22.
- Indian Railways has commissioned Wi-Fi at 6,089 Railway stations across the country
- To achieve its green mission, Indian Railways has solarised more than 1000 stations
- 2000 Km of the railway network to be brought under Kavach, the indigenous world-class TCAS in 2022-23. Kavach has been commissioned at over 850 Rkm in FY22
- 400 new generation Vande Bharat Trains to be manufactured during the next three years
- 100 PM Gati Shakti Cargo terminals for multimodal logistics to be developed during the next three years
- During 2014-22, 1544 km (377 km New line, 972 km Gauge conversion and 195 km Doubling) sections, falling fully/partly in Northeastern Region, have been commissioned at an average rate of 193 km per year, which is 190% more than average annual commissioning achieved during 2009-14 (66.6 km per year).
100% FDI allowed in railway infrastructure under the automatic route.
For further details, please refer FDI Policy
Annual Estimated Passengers in 2031
Annual Estimated Freight Demand in 2031
Freight Loading by 2024
- $ bn
Revenue from freight traffic (2021)
4th largest railway system in the world
4th largest rail freight carrier in the world
Single largest employer in India and 8th largest in the world
- Industry Scenario
- FOREIGN INVESTMENT
- INDUSTRY TRENDS
- POLICIES & SCHEMES
The Indian Railways' freight revenues in 2021 were worth $16 bn.
Following the Mantra, “Hungry For Cargo”, Indian Railways has made sustained efforts to improve the ease of doing business as well as improve the service delivery at competitive prices which has resulted in new traffic coming to railways from both conventional and non-conventional commodity streams. The customer centric approach and work of business development units backed up by agile policy making has helped the Railways breach the 1400 MT Freight Loading mark for 1st time ever in Financial Year-2021-22. The Originating Freight Loading of Indian Railways for the FY 2021-22 stood at 1418.1 MT (provisional) which is 15% more than the previous best set in FY 2020-21 at 1233.2 MT.
- The railway sector in India aims to contribute about 1.5% to the country’s GDP by building infrastructure to support 45% of the modal freight share of the economy
- Two Dedicated Freight Corridors (DFC), one on the Western route (Jawaharlal Nehru Port to Dadri) and another on the Eastern route (Ludhiana to Dankuni), have been fast-tracked
- Freight earnings increased by 16% as compared to the same period of last year (INR 91127 Crores).
- The railway sector in India has the highest ever planned capital expenditure of $32 bn in 2022-23
- The average Freight Train speed has increased to 44.36 kmph during 2021-22 compared to 42.97kmph during 2020-21 (+3.23 %) (upto 31.12. 2021). National Rail Plan aims to increase share of freight traffic from current 27% to 45% by 2030.
- Electrification of 1,973 Route km (2,647 TKM) has been achieved during 2022-23, which is 41% higher as compared to corresponding period of 2021-22. In addition, 1,161 & 296 km of electrification of double lines & sidings respectively have also been completed till date. Thus, total 4100 TKM have been electrified during 2022-23.
- Record electrification of 6,366 RKMs has been achieved in IR history during FY 2021-22
- New Line/ Doubling/ Gauge Conversion: 2904 km was achieved in FY 2021-22 which is 23% higher than last year. It is also the Highest ever commissioning (excluding DFC)
- The IR achieved the Highest ever Electric Loco Production & induction of 1,110 Locos in FY 2021-22. With the production of 614 Electric Locomotives in FY 2022-23, till 30th November from 490 electric locomotives during the same period last year, Indian Railways has recorded a growth of 25.3%.
- 6 pairs of Vande Bharat Express and 4 pairs of Tejas Express services are being operated by Indian Railways
- During FY22 till 30th November, 109 TKM of New Line, 102 TKM of Gauge Conversion and 1811 TKM of multi tracking has been completed.
- Currently, a total of 2359 trips of Kisan Rail trains have been operated on 167 routes, wherein nearly 7.9 lakh tones of consignments have been transported.
Exponential Rise in passenger & freight traffic
Railway passenger traffic is projected to reach around 12 Bn per year by 2031 and Freight traffic is expected to cross 8,220 Mn Tonnes by 2031
Freight shift towards railways
National Rail Plan aims to increase the modal share of Railways in freight to 45% by 2030 from existing 27%
Dedicated freight corridor
Six high-capacity, high-speed dedicated freight corridors
Freight Business Development Portal
One-stop cargo solution for seamless goods transportation
Diamond Quadrilateral network of high-speed rail
Connecting major metros and growth centers of the country
Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan - Self Reliant India
Special economic and comprehensive package of INR 20 lakh crores towards promoting manufacturing in India
Industrial Land Bank Portal
GIS - based map displaying available infrastructure for setting up business operations in the state.
Data On Map
Latest In Railways
PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan (NMP)…
National Rail Plan aims to increase share of…
Economic Survey 2021-22
Year 2021 has been a ‘Year of Major…