Puducherry: Tourist arrival of more than 1.5 mn in 2016
Situated on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal, Puducherry is a union territory with a prominent presence of French culture, being a former French colony. The UT has mineral deposits of limestone, clay, lignite, phosphate rocks, canker, laterite and others. Some of the significant industries in Puducherry include chemicals, textiles, leather, electronics, light engineering, metals, tourism and food processing. The UT, conveniently located at about 135 km from Chennai, has a minor port located between two major ports at Chennai and Tuticorin. Gingee and Pennaiyar are the major rivers in the region.
Agriculture and tourism sectors are major contributors to the economy of Puducherry and about 35% of the UT's population depends on agriculture and allied activities. The degree of irrigation is as high as 90% of the total land. Major food crops grown in the UT include rice, ragi, bajra and pulses. Also, various cash crops include sugarcane, cotton, groundnuts. Ministry of Shipping has identified a lighthouse in the UT to be developed in phase-I of its Lighthouse Tourism initiative.
Key upcoming projects include:
- Special Tourism Zone at Manapet, under the PPP mode
- Mega Food Park at Sedarapet
- Smart Cities Mission, for which Puducherry is the city identified in Puducherry
- Presence of more than 1,700 units producing chemicals and chemical-based products
- Huge scope in investments in packaged marine products and marine processing plants, with untapped marine resources of 61,700 MT
- Leather products are largest item of export from the region
View Our State Policies
- GSDP (Current price)
USD 4 bn (2016-17)
- GSDP growth rate (YoY)
- Per capita income
USD 2,589 (2016-17)
The population of Puducherry is more than 1.2 mn.
females/ 1000 males