World's chemical nucleus
Market size of Chemicals & Petrochemicals sector in India is worth ~$178 bn
Chemicals industry in India is highly diversified, covering more than 80,000 commercial products. It is broadly classified into Bulk chemicals, Specialty chemicals, Agrochemicals, Petrochemicals, Polymers and Fertilizers. India’s proximity to the Middle East, the world’s source of petrochemicals feedstock, makes for economies of scale.
India is a strong global dye supplier, accounting for approximately 16% of the world production of dyestuff and dye intermediates. Chemicals industry in India has been de-licensed except for few hazardous chemicals. Upcoming Petroleum, Chemicals and Petrochemicals Investment Regions (PCPIRs) and Plastic parks will provide state-of-the-art infrastructure for Chemicals and Petrochemicals sector.
- The Chemicals and Petrochemicals market is projected to reach $300 bn by 2025
- Indian ranks 9th in export and 6th in import of chemicals (Excluding Pharmaceuticals products) globally
- Export of Organic And Inorganic Chemicals was valued at $2230.15 bn in August 2021 with a positive growth of 35.75% over exports of $1642.82 bn in August 2020.
- Demand for chemical products is expected to grow at approximately 9% p.a. during 2020-25
- Indian chemical industry employs more than 2 million people
- Fertilizers production (weight: 2.63%) increased by 0.5% in July 2021 over July 2020
100% FDI is allowed under the automatic route in the chemicals sector (except in the case of certain hazardous chemicals)
For further details, please refer to FDI Policy
Nation’s Gross Value Added
Chemical products exports share
Contribution to global chemical sales
Third largest consumer of polymers in the world
Fourth largest producer of agrochemicals in the world
Sixth largest producer of chemicals in the world
- Industry Scenario
- FOREIGN INVESTMENT
- INDUSTRY TRENDS
- POLICIES & SCHEMES
The market size of Chemicals & Petrochemicals sector in India is around $178 bn; expected to grow to $300 bn by 2025.
The production of Total Major Chemicals and Petrochemicals in 2021-22 (upto May 2021) was 92.8 lakh MT. CAGR in production of Total Chemicals and Petrochemicals during the period 2015-16 to 2019-20 is 5.74%. Alkali Chemicals accounts for around 72% of the total production of Major Chemicals for the year 2021-22 (upto May 2021).
- The petrochemical demand is expected to grow at 7.5% CAGR from FY 2019-23, with polymer demand growing at 8%
- The agrochemicals market in India is expected to grow at 8% CAGR reaching $3.7 bn by FY22 and $4.7 bn by FY25.
- The specialty chemicals constitute 18% of total chemicals and petrochemicals market in India. As of FY19, the total market size is around $32 bn. The demand for speciality chemicals is expected to grow at 12% CAGR from FY19-22.
- Export of Plastic and Linoleum was valued at $753.30 bn in August 2021 with a positive growth of 16.16% over exports of $648.49 bn in August 2020.
Rising disposable income, median age of population, urbanisation and growing penetration and demand from rural markets
Shift in production and consumption towards Asian and Southeast Asian countries in all sectors leading to increasing demand for Chemicals and Petrochemicals
Shift in consumer preferences towards a healthier lifestyle and environment-friendly products
Opportunity to produce $111 Bn worth of chemical products by 2023 for domestic requirements
Production Linked Incentives scheme for manufacturing of Advance Cell Chemistry Battery under Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan
Industrial Land Bank Portal
GIS - based map displaying available infrastructure for setting up business operations in the state.
Latest In Chemicals
Chemical and Petrochemical Statistics: At a…
Roadmap for Ethanol Blending in India: 2020…
Annual Report 2020-21 | Ministry of…
Investment Promotion Reforms in India
Economic Survey 2020-21: Volume 1
Frequently VIEW ALL
Invest India closely works with
Government Ministry/ Department
- Alkali Manufacturers Association of India
- Chemicals & Petrochemicals Manufacturers Association
- Crop life India Dye Manufacturers Association of India
- Indian Chemical Council
- Indian Speciality Chemical Manufacturers Association
- Organization of Plastic Processors of India
- The All India Plastic Manufacturers' Association
Invest India Timeline
Disclaimer: All views and opinions that may be expressed in the posts on this page as well as post emanating from this page are solely of the individual in his/her personal capacity