Working towards building a healthier India
Healthcare industry in India comprises of hospitals, medical devices, clinical trials, outsourcing, telemedicine, medical tourism, health insurance and medical equipment. The industry is growing at a tremendous pace owing to its strengthening coverage, services and increasing expenditure by public as well as private players.
Growing incidence of lifestyle diseases, rising demand for affordable healthcare delivery systems due to the increasing healthcare costs, technological advancements, the emergence of telemedicine, rapid health insurance penetration and government initiatives like e-health together with tax benefits and incentives are driving healthcare market in India.
- By 2020, India is expected to rank amongst the top 3 healthcare markets in terms of incremental growth
- By 2020, the healthcare information technology market is expected to grow 1.5 times from current $1 bn
- By 2022, the diagnostics market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 20.4% to reach $32 bn from $5 bn in 2012
- During 2015-20, the in-patient market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 13%
- By 2020, the Indian telemedicine market is expected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 20% to reach $32 mn from $15 mn
100% FDI is allowed under the automatic route for greenfield projects. For investments in brownfield projects, up to 100% FDI is permitted under the government route.
For further details, please refer FDI Policy
Increase in health expenditure (2000-2014)
Increase in the total investments in healthtech startups.
Share in hospital beds (Pvt.)
Industry CAGR (2015-20)
‘NHP Scheme’ - World's largest government-funded healthcare programme
India plans to create 1 mn skilled healthcare providers by 2022
Healthcare has become one of India's largest sectors both in terms of revenue and employment
- Industry Scenario
- FOREIGN INVESTMENT
- INDUSTRY TRENDS
- POLICIES & SCHEMES
Healthcare industry in India is projected to reach $372 bn by 2022
Healthcare industry in India comprises of hospitals, medical devices, clinical trials, outsourcing, telemedicine, medical tourism, health insurance and medical equipment. The industry is growing at a tremendous pace owing to its strengthening coverage, services and increasing expenditure by public as well private players.
- The hospital industry in India, accounting for 80% of the total healthcare market, is witnessing a huge investor demand from both global as well as domestic investors. The hospital industry is expected to reach $132 bn by 2023 from $ 61.8 bn in 2017; growing at a CAGR of 16-17%.
- The Indian Medical Tourism market is expected to grow from its current size of $3 bn to $7-8 bn by 2020
- The diagnostics industry in India is currently valued at $4 bn. The share of organized sector is almost 25% in this segment (15% in labs and 10% in radiology).
- The primary care industry is currently valued at $13 bn. The share of organized sector is practically negligible in this case.
Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan - Self Reliant India
Special economic and comprehensive package of INR 20 lakh crores towards promoting manufacturing in India
Life expectancy is going to exceed 70 years by 2022, hence more healthcare services required
20% Indians covered; expected to rise with rising incomes, urbanization
Emergence of telemedicine
Along with these, emergence of telemedicine, and government initiatives like e-health married with tax benefits and incentives are driving healthcare market in India.
Over $200 bn to be spent on medical infrastructure by 2024
Industrial Information System (IIS) Portal
GIS - based map displaying available infrastructure for setting up manufacturing operations in the state.
Investment Opportunities in Healthcare
- Private Projects
- Govt. Projects