Punjab: Largest agricultural area under irrigation in India
A power surplus state, Punjab offers best-in-class logistics and connectivity with highest road density amongst Indian states (133 km per 100 sq km). Punjab is well connected with all major cities through its 2,100 km of rail infrastructure, 64,000 km of roads and 5 airports. It offers a strong logistics backbone with 13 container freight stations and inland container depots easing exports and imports for the state.
Key upcoming projects include:
- Ludhiana Mega Food Park, Mohali Knowledge City, Greenfield Light Engineering Park along Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor and Chandigarh Medicity
- Smart Cities Mission, for which Ludhiana, Jalandhar and Amritsar are the cities identified in Punjab
Proposed industrial corridor:
- Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor, with an electrified single-track segment of 447 km between Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh
- Top contributing state for wheat (41%) and rice (26%) in India
- Highest yield of rice and wheat in India
- Largest producer of machine and hand tools and bicycle components in India
View Our State Policies
- GSDP (Current price)
USD 64 bn (2016-17)
- GSDP growth rate (YoY)
- Per capita income
USD 1,920 (2016-17)
- Arable land
75% of total population of Punjab is directly dependent on agriculture sector for their livelihood.
65% of the population falls in the working age group of 15-59 years.
females/ 1000 males
Punjab is one of the highest contributors of wheat and rice to the national pool. 98% of the cultivated land is under irrigation, which is highest in India. Punjab’s farm sector is highly mechanized with 83% of land area of the state covered by agriculture sector, registering a cropping intensity rate of 190%.
Punjab leads in manufacturing of machine tools, hand tools, bicycle and bicycle components in India. It accounts for 15% of bicycle production and 80% of bicycle parts production in the country.
Punjab accounts for 14% of the total cotton yarn production in India and textile contributes to 38% exports of the state. It is one of the leading exporters of yarn, hosiery and readymade garments.
Punjab is a pioneer in the development of a state-level 400 KV ring main system of electricity distribution. The state has an estimated potential of generating 2400 MW of renewable energy by 2022.