Chandigarh: The city beautiful
Chandigarh is considered to be one of the best-planned cities in the country. The high quality of social infrastructure, large green spaces and its compact size, makes it an ideal destination to live and work. The quality of life in the city is often compared to some of the best cities across the world.
Chandigarh has a well-connected international airport, which handled more than 4,500 tonnes of freight in 2015-16. More than 67% of Chandigarh’s power requirements are met by renewable energy sources. The government has proposed setting up a Mono Rail network to cater the exponential increase in the transport needs of the city.
Chandigarh has the presence of more than 2,900 small and 15 large and medium scale units. About 40% industries are ancillary units that manufacture components for tractors. Other industries based in the UT are those of IT, electronics, pharmaceuticals, machine tools and plastics. Rajiv Gandhi Chandigarh Technology Park (RGCTP) has been developed in two phases and accorded the SEZ status. Concurrently, the UT is planning to set up a Terminal Market for fruits and vegetables to support crop diversification program undertaken by Punjab and Haryana Government.
Key upcoming projects include:
- Development of RGCTP in phase-3 on 110 ha area
- Education city with promising infrastructure and faculty
- Smart Cities Mission, for which Chandigarh is the city identified in Chandigarh
- Strong presence of light engineering industry, with more than 1,100 ancillary units producing components for tractor industries
- Attracts more than 1.5 mn tourists each year
- Upcoming Software Technology Park, with a node in Punjab Engineering College Chandigarh, to promote IT industries and exports
View Our State Policies
- GSDP (Current price)
USD 4.5 bn (2015-16)
- GSDP growth rate (YoY)
- Total exports
USD 592 mn (2015-16)
The population of Chandigarh is more than 1 mn.
females/ 1000 males