Fisheries & Aquaculture
Fueling the Future of Global Protein Demand
World population is expected to reach 9.8 bn in 2050, implying a further increase in pressure on the existing food resources. Aquaculture sector can play a vital role in feeding the rising global demand for protein.
India is the 2nd largest producer of fish in the world and about 68% of India’s fish comes from the aquaculture sector. In terms of employment, the sector supports the livelihood of over 28 mn people in India especially the marginalized and vulnerable communities. Export earnings from the fisheries sector was $6 bn during 2020-21.
The Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying is implementing a flagship scheme “Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)- A scheme to bring about Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector in India” with highest ever investment of INR 20,050 crore for a period of five years with effect from the financial year 2020-21 to 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories(UTs).
India’s top export destinations for fish and fish products are China, USA, Southeast Asia, European Union, and Japan.
- Fisheries sector has demonstrated an outstanding double-digit average annual growth of 10.87% since 2014-15 with record fish production of 147 lakh tons in FY 2020-21
- 76% of fish production was contributed by inland fisheries and the rest 24% was contributed by marine fisheries in FY 2020
- India has seen a 20X increase in fish production from 0.75 MMT in 1950-51 to 14.73 MMT during 2020
- 28 mn fishers and fish farmers are engaged at a primary level in the fisheries and aquaculture sector
100% FDI is allowed under the automatic route in pisciculture and aquaculture sector in India
For further details, please refer FDI Policy
Contribution of Aquaculture in India’s fish production in 2020
Average Annual Growth Rate of the sector in FY 2020
Contribution of the sector in Agriculture GVA in FY 2020
Largest culture shrimp producer and exporter
2nd largest aquaculture producing country
4th Largest Fish Exporting Country with exports worth $7.74 bn in FY 2021-22
- Industry Scenario
- FOREIGN INVESTMENT
- INDUSTRY TRENDS
- POLICIES & SCHEMES
Frozen Shrimp and Frozen Fish- Top Marine Exports of India
With the rising population, stress on existing resources is increasing tremendously to meet the growing demand for nutritional diet. Fisheries and Aquaculture sector plays a vital role in meeting this growing demand for protein.
India Specific Key Facts:
- 11.25 MMT Inland Fisheries production during FY 20-21
- 3.48 MMT Marine Fisheries production in FY 20-21
- $1.79 mn Export of Ornamental Fisheries in FY 2020
- Top exporting destination for Ornamental Fisheries: Thailand; UAE; Singapore; Hong Kong; China; Jordan; Taiwan
- States with major breeding units for Ornamental Fisheries: Tamil Nadu; Maharashtra; Kerala; Rajasthan; Madhya Pradesh; Himachal Pradesh; West Bengal
- 1548 total fish landing centres
- 671 Cold Storages with 427,713.27 MT of capacity
- 44 Chilled Storages with 23,640.80 MT of capacity
- 91 Dry Fish Storages with 38,401.92 MT of capacity
- Fishing Harbours Under Sagarmala - Ministry has sanctioned 17 fishing harbour projects worth INR 1740.26 Crore under Sagarmala Programme.
India’s marine product exports record an all-time high in FY 2021-22; Grow by over 30% to $7.74 bn
Fish is an affordable and rich source of protein, minerals and vitamins Changing lifestyle and food habits towards animal-based diet. Increasing demand for protein due to rising population.
Rich and diverse set of water resources implying diverse fisheries resources. 10 % of the global biodiversity in terms of fish and shellfish species found in India. 2.02 mn sq.km EEZ & underutilized inland waters offer a huge potential.
Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF)- INR 7522.48 Cr. Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)- INR 20,500 Cr. Production Linked Incentive Scheme for Food Processing Industry- INR 10900 Cr. FDI Policy- 100% FDI allowed through automatic route in Pisciculture and Aquaculture.
Industrial Land Bank Portal
GIS - based map displaying available infrastructure for setting up business operations in the state.
Invest India closely works with
Government Ministry/ Department
- Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Government of India
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MOFPI), Government of India
- Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA)
- National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB)
- National Institute of Fisheries Post Harvest Technology and Training (NIFPHATT)
- Coastal Aquaculture Authority (CAA)
- Rajeev Gandhi Centre for Aquaculture (RGCA)
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)