National Technical Textiles Mission
Technical Textiles are textile products which are manufactured primarily for their functionality and use rather than the aesthetic appeal. This includes functional fabrics which find application in civil engineering, construction, defence, healthcare and automobile among other industries. The products are divided into 12 segments based on their usage.
The Indian Technical Textiles Sector has an Annual Average Growth Rate (AAGR) of 12% which is three times the world average of 4%. The market size of the sector in India is estimated to be more than $15 Bn (in FY 2018). Moreover, with a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 20%, the domestic market of technical textiles is projected to cross $25 Bn by FY 2021.
Technical Textiles Mission in India
To increase the penetration level of technical textiles in India while leveraging the extraordinary growth rate of the sector, the Ministry of Textiles has launched the National Technical Textiles Mission. The aim of the mission is to position India as a global leader in Technical Textiles. It also supports the ‘Make in India’ initiative promoting domestic manufacturing of related machinery and equipment.
The mission will comprise of the following four components:
- Research, Innovation and Development
- Promotion and Market Development
- Export Promotion
- Education, Training, Skill Development
The National Technical Textiles Mission has been approved with an implementation period of four years starting from FY 2020-21 till FY 2023-24. The total outlay of the mission is INR 1480 Cr. The Mission has a target to take domestic market size of technical textile sector to $ 40-50 Bn by the year 2024 with an average growth rate of 15-20% per annum.
Prime Minister's special emphasis on infrastructure will create a huge demand in the domestic market for technical textiles. With the launch of National Technical Textiles Mission 2020, India is poised to become a world leader in technical textiles.
-Smt Smriti Irani (Hon'ble Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development, Govt. of India)
Implementation and Governance
The mission will be implemented via a three-tier institutional mechanism which will consist of the following:
- Mission Steering Group: The group will be authorized to approve all financial norms with respect to schemes, components and programme of the mission. The group will also be entrusted with the responsibility of approving all scientific and technological research projects under the mission.
- Empowered Programme Committee: The committee will be required to approve all projects (except research projects) within the financial limits of various programs as approved by the Mission Steering Group. The committee will also be entrusted with the responsibility of monitoring the implementation of various components of the mission.
- Committee on Technical Textiles on Research, Development & Innovation: This committee will be responsible for identification and recommendation of research projects to the Mission Steering Group for approval. These projects will be related to strategic sectors such as space, security, defence, para-military, and atomic energy.
Promoting Make in India
- Market development and promotion
- International technical collaborations
- Investment promotion
- ‘Make in India’ initiative
All the components of the National Technical Textiles Mission in turn also support the ‘Make in India’ initiative by promoting research activities for indigenous development of machineries and process equipment for technical textiles. This will reduce India’s import dependence and promote domestic manufacturing of capital goods in the sector.