Budget 2022: Infrastructure: Increased Focus on Gati Shakti as a Pillar of Growth
The PM Gati Shakti Master Plan launched by the Prime Minister last year is essentially a National Master Plan for Multi-modal Connectivity, a digital platform to bring 16 Ministries including Railways and Roadways together for integrated planning and coordinated implementation of infrastructure connectivity projects. In the budget for 2022-23 the PM Gati Shakti plan is considered as one of the four pillars of growth that are of immediate priority for the government. The master plan will pull forward the economy and will lead to the generation of more jobs and opportunities for the youth.
The PM Gati Shakti will encompass the 7 engines for multi-modal connectivity for the states with speedier implementation of development projects through technology to facilitate faster movement of people and goods through INR 20,000 crore financed by the government to speed up this project. A boost for railways under the Gati Shakti plan has been envisaged under the budget 2022-23.
Under the same the following infrastructure developments will take place:
- 25,000 kilometer of national highways to be built in 2022-23.
- “One Station, One Product” to help supply chain of local product an efficient logistics systems would be built for small farmers and enterprises by the Railways.
- 400 new-generation Vande Bharat trains with higher efficiency and better facilities for passengers will be developed in the next three years.
- Over the next few years 100 Cargo Terminals will be developed under PM Gati Shakti.
- Under Atmanirbhar Bharat 2000 kilometres will be brought under world-class technology in 2022-23 as a part of the “KAWACH” initiative.
- To undertake conventional road construction in hilly areas “Parwatmala” will be undertaken in a PPP mode.
- In order to effectively promote digital infrastructure the “Desh Stack e-portal” will be launched.
- The above mentioned provisions will together contribute to the public investments to achieve the government’s vision to modernize infrastructure over the medium term and leveraging tech platform of Gati Shakti via a multi-modal approach.