The next Economic Heavyweight
The government aims to transform India into a global sporting powerhouse with long-term impact on health, education and tourism by undertaking mega-sports infrastructure projects and exploring and encouraging investments through the public private partnership (PPP) model.
The boost in Indian sports economy can be witnessed by the high capital infusion in the Sports Industry. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) garnered over $ 6.2 Bn for broadcasting rights of five seasons of the Indian Premier League, making it the most valuable league second only to US NFL.
- Orissa is continuously pushing for hosting big-ticket events like the Fifa U-17 Women's World Cup 2022 and the Men's Hockey World Cup 2023.
- Haryana, for execution of Khelo India Youth Games of 2022 spent over $ 18 Mn on infrastructure.
- Gujarat launched its own sports policy for 2022-27 for growth of sports manufacturing and sports tourism.
100% FDI is allowed in sports goods manufacturing and sports infrastructure construction.
Indian sporting goods exported
People employed in sports goods manufacturing
Sports infra projects approved under Khelo India Programme
2nd largest producer of Bicycles in world
4th in Commonwealth Games at Birmingham, England
3rd largest Sports Manufacturer in Asia
- Industry Scenario
- FOREIGN INVESTMENT
- INDUSTRY TRENDS
The Indian sports goods market is estimated to grow to $ 6.6 Bn by 2027
- India is the major exporter of table tennis, tennis, badminton, tennis balls, and inflatable balls.
- The export value of bicycles and its parts from India amounted to over $ 461 Mn in the fiscal year of 2022
- Sports Authority of India has established 23 National Centres of Excellence and 67 SAI Training Centres to implement sports promotional schemes across the country.
- Under the National Investment Pipeline, capital expenditure of $ 1.1 Bn(FY20-FY25) has been earmarked for developing sports infrastructure in the country.
- Cluster cities for sports goods manufacturing, Jalandhar and Meerut, account for ~ 82% of total production, and host more than 3000 manufacturing units and 130 exporters owing to their expertise.
- India is one of the potential bidders to host 2036 Summer Olympics.
Government of India is playing a vital role in growth of the sports sector through several initiatives and programmes, Khelo India Programme, Target Olympics Scheme etc. Government of India increased sports budget by 11.08 % in 2022-23.Sports Goods Export Promotion Council (SGEPC) set up for promotion of India’s exports of sports goods.
Driven by a young digital audience, and rapidly increasing smart phone and internet penetration, India is witnessing significant growth in online consumption of sports content. Indian Premier League digital rights for Indian subcontinent, attracted highest bid of ~$ 6.41 Mn per match for 2018-22 cycle.
Growth in rural viewership
Regional games packaged in interesting league formats have been successful in garnering rural viewership. The seventh season of non-cricket property Pro Kabbadi League attracted 1.2 mn impressions and a cumulative reach of 352 mn, which is set to grow in the coming years further.
Sports sector in India is growing due to entry of multiple sports start-ups involved in sports infrastructure, data/content aggregation, education and training, online retail, technology and online ticket booking.