Skip to main content
  • 1 Do I need a visa to go to India?

    Yes, all foreigners except for nationals of Nepal, Bhutan and Maldives, need a visa to enter India. With regard to Maldives nationals, a visa is required if intended stay in India would be longer than 90 days. Nationals of Nepal would need a visa , if they enter India via China. A citizen of Bhutan entering India by land or air does not require passport or visa for entry into India, unless entering India from a place other than Bhutan. In that case, passport is must. However, he/she must have a passport and visa for India if he/she is entering in India from China. For diplomatic and official passport holders, many nationalities are exempted from the Indian Visa. The detailed list can be accessed at

  • 2 How long does it take to process Indian visa (other than eTA)?

    In case you are applying for Visa other than tourist visa, it is recommended that you apply for your India visa 3 to 4 weeks before your travel date. Although the visa itself may only take a few days to process, it is always advisable to add as much of buffer time as possible in case any issues arises during the process. 
    For Tourist visa (eTA), upon receipt of the Visa Application through Indian Visa Application Center or directly, the Indian Mission/ Post requires a minimum of three working days to process the case and issue a visa depending upon the nationality and excluding special cases. For further details please refer to

  • 3 Can I apply for India visa at the airport? What are other formalities at airport regarding visa?

    No, it is not possible to apply for an India visa at the airport. Eligible citizens traveling for leisure/tourism purposes have the option to apply for an Indian eTA visa online, before they depart for India. Once visa is granted, citizens will have to get biometric information taken at the airport and the visa stamped on the passport on arrival in India.

  • 4 What is an e-Tourist Visa (e-TV)?

    e-Tourist Visa is a completely online application for which no facilitation is required by any intermediary/agents, etc. However its validity is 30 days and it is only valid for single entry into India. The e-Tourist visa allows for visa on arrival issuance only for arrival and departure from the airports in Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bengaluru (Bangalore), Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum and Varanasi. If arriving or departing by land, by sea, or from any other airport or port of entry, please apply for a traditional Indian visa. Please refer to for more information

  • 5 Where I can find more information on visas to India?

    More information on visa can be found on concerned Indian Mission and Indian Visa Application Centre (IVAC) as well as online visa portal ( ). The instructions for filling the form and scheduling the appointment can be seen at Instructions for Regular Visa Application. Important technical information for filling online Indian visa application can be referred at Technical Instructions. The status of Visa Application can be seen on the link for Visa Enquiry

  • 6 What is the Port of Arrival in India which is to be filled in the application form?

    The port of arrival is the location at which you first enter India. Your port of arrival is the name of the city where you initially enter India.

  • 7 What is the difference between single and multiple entries?

    A single entry visa allows you to visit India one time while the visa is valid. A multiple entry visa allows you to enter India several times within the validity period of the visa. The e-Visa is valid for one single entry, and for a maximum stay of 30 days. A traditional Indian visa normally allows multiple entries, and a stay of up to 90 days.

  • 8 What activities are permissible under Tourist Visa?

    Tourist Visa can be granted to a foreigner whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sight seeing, casual visit to meet friends or relatives, attending a short-term yoga programme, etc. and no other purpose/ activity.

    Please refer to for more information

  • 9 How long will my application be available online?

    You can print your Visa Application Form within 30 calendar days of completing it online. To access your completed online application, you are required to note your web reference number before you exit. An Email with this information will also be sent to your valid email id, if provided.  If your application is not submitted for processing within this time, the information will be purged out/deleted from the system and you will need to commence enter your details afresh. Visa Fees will not be refunded in this situation.

  • 10 I made a mistake while filling up the online application. Is it possible to make corrections online?.

    No, there is no possibility of making corrections online once you submit your application form. However, before you submit it you can make the necessary changes. You can apply at the following link

  • 1 Can an OCI holder undertake research work in India?

    Yes, after getting prior approval/special permission from Ministry of Home Affairs, an OCI holder can undertake research work in India. Please refer to for more information

  • 2 If a person is already holding more than one nationality, can he/she apply for OCI?

    Yes, as long as the local laws of at least one of the countries allow dual citizenship in some form or other.
    Please refer to for more information

  • 3 Are foreign military personnel eligible for OCI grant?

    No, foreign military personnel either in service or retired, are entitled to receive the grant of OCI holder. Please refer to for more information

  • 4 What is the time taken for registration as OCI?

    If there is no adverse information available against the applicant within approximately 30 days of the application, OCI registration is done. If any adverse information is available, the decision to grant or otherwise is taken within 120 days. Please refer to for more information.

  • 5 Can a person registered as an OCI be granted Indian citizenship?

    Yes, as per the provisions of section 5(1) (g) of the Citizenship Act, 1955, a person who is registered as an OCI for 5 years and is residing in India for 1 year out of the above 5 years, is eligible to apply for Indian Citizenship. Please refer to for more information.

  • 6 Will foreign-born children of PIOs be eligible to become an OCI?

    Yes, foreign-born children of PIOs are eligible to become OCIs provided one of the parents is eligible to become an OCI. Please refer to for more information

  • 1 Are people on visa liable to pay taxes in India?

    Whether an individual is liable to pay Indian income tax is dependent on the foreign national’s physical presence in India, regardless of citizenship or the purpose of the stay.


    Non-residents for income tax purposes are taxed only on India-sourced income. In order to qualify as a non-resident, the individual must have spent less than 182 days in India during the tax year. Additionally, the individual cannot be present in India for more than 365 days during the last four years preceding the relevant tax year.


    A resident is an individual who spends 182 days or more during the tax year. Additionally, a foreign national who has been present in India for at least 60 days but less than 182 days in the relevant tax year, and has been present in India the last four tax years preceding the relevant tax year for an aggregate of 365 days or more, will be considered a resident for Indian tax purposes during the relevant tax year.

    Resident but not Ordinarily Resident

    A person qualifying as a resident for any tax year is treated as a RNOR if: 1)individual has been a non-resident in India for 9 of the past 10 tax years; and, 2)individual has during the 7 tax years preceding the relevant tax year been in India for a total of 729 days or less. An individual who has RNOR status is taxed only on India-sourced income.

    Resident and Ordinary Resident

    Any resident who fails to meet both conditions for RNOR is considered a resident and ordinary resident for the relevant tax year and is taxed on world-wide income.

    Please refer to for more information.

  • 2 Which Income of an international worker is subject to tax in India. Where I can get more information about various taxes applicable in India?

    In general, all income received or accrued in India is subject to tax. Various type of income which are taxed are as follows: 1) Employment income including perquisites and bonuses. Certain tax deductions and allowances can also be availed by employees. 2) Self-employment and business income 3) Investment income: Dividends / Interest 4) Capital gains income 5) Taxation on employer-provided stock options. For more details, please refer to link

  • 3 Is tax applicable on stock- based income?

    Yes, tax is applicable on stock-based income. A two-step taxation procedure is applicable in this case: 1) At the time of allotment of shares, as compensation income 2) At the time of sale, as capital gains. Certain exemptions and/or concessional tax rates are available on the sale of shares listed on a recognized stock exchange in India, depending on the period of holding. For more details, please refer to link$File/EY-Working-in-India.pdf

  • 4 Are there exemptions on income for Non-resident Indian (NRI)?

    Following incomes are exempt from tax in the hands of a Non-resident Indian (NRI):-
    1. Interest on notified savings certificates issued before 01-06-2002 by the Central Government if it is subscribed in convertible foreign exchange remitted from a country outside India
    2. Interest on notified bonds (notified prior to 01-06-2002) purchased in foreign exchange (subject to certain conditions)
    For more details, please refer to link

  • 1 What is FRRO registration?

    The Foreigner Registration Office is the primary agency to regulate registration, movement, stay, departure, and also for recommending the extension of stay in India. Nodal ministry for FRROs/ FROs across India is Ministry of Home Affairs. Various powers have been delegated to the FRROs/FROs which are available on Please refer to for more information.

  • 2 Who needs to register with FRRO?

    Foreign nationals visiting India on student visa/research visa/ medical visa/ employment visa / business visa/ entry visa valid for more than 180 days or foreign national visiting India for more than 180 days are required to register with FRRO within 14 days of arrival. It is mandatory to register for all the foreign nationals visiting India typically for more than 180 days. Please refer to and online portal of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) Services: for more information.

  • 3 Who is exempted from FRRO registration?

    Foreign nationals visiting India are not required to register if their duration of stay in India is less than 180 days. Other than that, those foreigners will not be required to get themselves registered who have entered India on a long-term visa provided their continuous stay in India does not exceed 180 days. Please refer to for more information

  • 4 What if one can’t register within 14 days?

    A penalty in Indian currency equivalent to USD 30 in case of late registration is charged. This fee may be revised from time to time. Please refer to for more information.

  • 5 What should one do with the certificate of registration, when finally departing from India?

    Foreign nationals when leaving India shall surrender his certificate of registration either to the registration office of the place where he/she is registered or the immigration office at the post/check exit at the time of final departure from India. Please refer to for more information

  • 6 Is it possible to get duplicate FRRO registration?

    If the certificate is lost or destroyed, the foreigner to whom it was issued, shall make or send a report of circumstances in which it was so lost or destroyed with an application in writing and a copy of police report in order to issue a duplicate copy of certificate of registration to the registration officer of the district of his registered address. Please refer to for more information

  • 7 I lost my passport in India, what should I do now?

    The following steps are to be taken in case of loss of Passport:
    1.Report to nearest Police station and take First Information Report(FIR) copy
    2.Contact the FRRO/FRO where foreigner is registered with the copy of the FIR and do the necessary formalities.
    3.Contact the Embassy of the foreigner’s Nationality country with FRRO report and do the necessary formalities.
    4.Foreign students should report to the concerned Institution/ University to which student is associated.
    Further details can be accessed at

  • 8 Where I can raise my complaint regarding my visa application and FRRO registration?

    For any queries related to visa matters and PIO , the VISA SUPPORT CENTRE may be contacted through below mentioned phones /e-mails. Phone No.-91-11-22560198/22560199, E-mail-
    For queries related to OCI:E-mail-

    FRRO contact list can be accessed at:

  • 1 What are the norms for import of foreign exchange / currency?

    Any person can bring foreign exchange without any limit into India from abroad. However, declaration of foreign exchange/currency is required to be made in the prescribed currency declaration form in the following cases: 

     (a) Where the value of foreign currency notes exceeds USD 5,000 or equivalent  

    (b) Where the aggregate value of foreign exchange (in the form of currency notes, bank notes, traveller cheques etc.) exceeds USD 10,000/- or its equivalent.

    These norms are regulated by the Foreign Exchange Management Act Regulations, 2015. Further details can accessed at

  • 2 What are the norms for the import of Indian currency?

    Import of Indian currency is prohibited. However, in the case of passengers normally resident in India who are returning from a visit abroad, import of Indian currency up-to INR 25,000 is allowed. These norms are regulated by the Foreign Exchange Management Act Regulations, 2015. Further details can accessed at

  • 3 Who can bring jewellery as baggage?

    As per the Baggage Rules 2016, a passenger residing abroad for more than one year, on return to India, shall be allowed clearance free of duty in his bona fide baggage of jewellery up to a weight, of twenty grams with a value cap of fifty thousand rupees if brought by a gentleman passenger, or forty grams with a value cap of one lakh rupees if brought by a lady passenger.
    For more information, please refer to…

  • 4 What are the norms for the import of alcoholic drinks /cigarettes as baggage?

    Following quantities of alcoholic drinks and tobacco products may be included for import within the duty free allowances admissible to various categories of incoming passengers:
    -Alcoholic liquors or wines up to 2 litres
    -100 Cigarettes or 25 Cigars or 125 gms. of Tobacco.
    The Customs Tariff Act 1975 enlists the rate of duty over and above the mentioned quantities. It can be accessed at…

  • 5 What are the norms for the Import of Pet Animals?

    Import of up to 2 pets per passenger is allowed as baggage only to persons transferring their residence to India after two year of continuous stay abroad in terms of Baggage Rules, 2006 subject to production of required health certificate from country of origin and examination of the said pets by the animal quarantine officer, without an import license issued by Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT). Please refer to for more information.

  • 6 What goods are prohibited for import to India?

    Some of the goods prohibited for import in India are:

    1) Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic substances,

    2) Pornographic material,

    3) Counterfeit and pirated goods and good infringing any of the legally enforceable intellectual property rights,

    4) Antiquities.

    Restricted items include: Firearms and ammunitions, more than 50 cartridges etc. For more details, please refer to link :

  • 7 What is detained baggage?

    A passenger may request the Customs to detain his baggage either for re-export at the time of his departure from India or for clearance subsequently on payment of duty.The detained baggage would be examined and full details will be inventoried. Such baggage is kept in the custody of the Customs and a Detention Receipt will be issued. Please refer to for more information.