Telangana: Second highest contributor to India's IT exports
Recently created state of Telangana was ranked #1 in Ease of Doing Business in 2016 jointly with another Indian state. Hyderabad, the capital of the state, is a major IT hub of the country. The state contributes nearly one-third to India’s pharmaceutical production and one-fifth to the pharmaceutical exports. There are 30 operational Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and 16 National Highways (NH) passing through the state. The state has attracted investments worth USD 11.5 bn since the launch of its new industrial policy in 2015. World's largest film studio complex, Ramoji Film City, is also based out of Hyderabad.
Key upcoming projects include:
- Hyderabad Pharma City, proposed over more than 5,600 ha of land
- Mega Textile Park, in Warangal, spread over 485 ha
- Smart Cities Mission, for which Warangal and Karimnagar are the cities identified in Telangana
Proposed industrial corridors:
- Three notable industrial corridors are proposed in the state, starting from Hyderabad and spanning over Warangal, Nagpur and Bengaluru
- Highest capacity of solar power commissioned in India during 2016-17
- Third largest producer of long staple cotton in India
- Second highest number of operational SEZs (30) in India
- GSDP (Current price)
USD 96 bn (2016-17)
- GSDP growth rate (YoY)
- Per capita income
USD 2,319 (2016-17)
- Share of renewable in energy
Telangana has a population of 35 mn people, making it equivalent to the population of Morocco. The state recorded an average population growth rate of 13.6%.
Telangana constitutes around 2.7% of the total population of India.
females/ 1000 males
IT is one of the fastest growing sectors in Telangana, contributing around 21% to the total state GDP. During 2015-16, the value of IT exports from the state was recorded at USD 10.4 bn.
Granite, coal, limestone, bauxite and mica are the major mineral resources in Telangana. State coal deposits account for 20% share in India’s coal deposits. The minerals and mining sector in the state contributed USD 440 mn in 2015-16.
Hyderabad district in Telangana contributes over 30% of the pharmaceutical production of the country, and accounts for 20% share in the total exports. Genome Valley in Hyderabad is the first and only systematically planned and developed cluster dedicated to life sciences in the country.
Telangana is home to about 49,112 powerlooms and 627 weavers cooperative societies. The state has more than 120,000 handloom weavers in all and will be home to India’s largest textile park, which is coming up in Warangal. Telangana is also planning to establish 9 leather parks across the state.