• What are the norms for the import of alcoholic drinks /cigarettes as baggage?

    Following quantities of alcoholic drinks and tobacco products may be included for import within the duty free allowances admissible to various categories of incoming passengers:
    -Alcoholic liquors or wines upto 2 litres
    -100 Cigarettes or 25 Cigars or 125 gms. of Tobacco.

    The Customs Tariff Act 1975 enlists the rate of duty over and above the mentioned quantities. It can be accessed at the link.

  • Who can bring jewellery as baggage?

    As per the Baggage Rules 2016, a passenger who has been residing abroad for over one year is allowed to bring jewellery, free of duty in his bona fide baggage up-to an aggregate weight of 20grams with a cap value of INR 50,000/- (in the case of a gentleman passenger) or 40 grams with a cap value of  INR.1,00,000/- (in the case of a lady passenger).

    For more details, please refer link.

  • What are the norms for the import of Indian currency?

    Import of Indian currency is prohibited. However, in the case of passengers normally resident in India who are returning from a visit abroad, import of Indian currency up-to $ 385 is allowed. These norms are regulated by the Foreign Exchange Management Act Regulations, 2015. Further details can accessed at Link

  • What are the norms for import of foreign exchange / currency?

    Any person can bring foreign exchange without any limit into India from abroad. However, declaration of foreign exchange/currency is required to be made in the prescribed currency declaration form in the following cases:

    (a) Where the value of foreign currency notes exceeds $ 5,000 or equivalent 

    (b) Where the aggregate value of foreign exchange (in the form of currency notes, bank notes, traveller cheques etc.) exceeds $ 10,000 or its equivalent.

    These norms are regulated by the Foreign Exchange Management Act Regulations, 2015. Further details can accessed at Link

  • What goods are prohibited for import to India?

    Some of the goods prohibited for import in India are:

    1) Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic substances.

    2) Pornographic material.

    3) Counterfeit and pirated goods and good infringing any of the legally enforceable intellectual property rights.

    4) Antiquities.

    For more details, please refer to link.

  • What is detained baggage?

    A passenger may request the Customs to detain his baggage either for re-export at the time of his departure from India or for clearance subsequently on payment of duty. The detained baggage would be examined and full details will be inventoried. Such baggage is kept in the custody of the Customs and a Detention Receipt will be issued.

    For more details, please refer to link for more information. 

  • Where can I raise my complaint regarding my visa application and FRRO registration?

    For any queries related to visa matters and PIO , the VISA SUPPORT CENTRE may be contacted through below mentioned phones /e-mails. 
    Phone No.-91-11-22560198/22560199, 
    E-mail- visasupport@nic.in
    For queries related to OCI:E-mail- helpdesk-oci@gov.in

    FRRO contact list can be accessed at the following link.

  • What should one do with the certificate of registration, when finally departing from India?

    Foreign nationals when leaving India shall surrender his certificate of registration either to the registration office of the place where he/she is registered or the immigration office at the post/check exit at the time of final departure from India. Please refer to Link for more information.

  • Is it possible to get duplicate FRRO registration?

    If the certificate is lost or destroyed, the foreigner to whom it was issued, shall make or send a report of circumstances in which it was so lost or destroyed with an application in writing and a copy of police report in order to issue a duplicate copy of certificate of registration to the registration officer of the district of his registered address. Please refer to Link for more information.

  • What if one can’t register within 14 days?

    A penalty in Indian currency equivalent to $ 30 in case of late registration is charged. This fee may be revised from time to time. Please refer to Link for more information.

  • Who is exempted from FRRO registration ?

    Foreign nationals visiting India are not required to register if their duration of stay in India is less than 180 days. Other than that, those foreigners will not be required to get themselves registered who have entered India on a long-term visa provided their continuous stay in India does not exceed 180 days.

    For more details, please refer the link.

  • Who needs to register with FRRO ?

    Foreign nationals visiting India on student visa/research visa/ medical visa/ employment visa / business visa/ entry visa valid for more than 180 days or foreign national  visiting India for more than 180 days are required to register with FRRO within 14 days of arrival. It is mandatory to register for all the foreign nationals visiting India typically for more than 180 days.

    For more details, please refer link1
    Please visit online portal of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) Services on the following link2.

  • What is FRRO registration?

    The Foreigner Registration Office is the primary agency to regulate registration, movement, stay, departure, and also for recommending the extension of stay in India. Nodal ministry for FRROs/ FROs across India is Ministry of Home Affairs. Various powers have been delegated to the FRROs/FROs which are available on Click here. Please refer to Link 1 and Link 2 for more information.

  • Are foreign military personnel eligible for OCI grant?

    No, foreign military personnel either in service or retired, are not entitled to receive the grant of OCI holder. Please refer to Link for more information.

  • Can an OCI holder undertake research work in India?

    Yes, after getting prior approval/special permission from Ministry of Home Affairs, an OCI holder can undertake research work in India.

    Please refer to Link for more information.

  • Will foreign-born children of PIOs be eligible to become an OCI?

    Yes, foreign-born children of PIOs are eligible to become OCIs provided one of the parents is eligible to become an OCI. For more details, please refer link for more information.

  • If a person is already holding more than one nationality, can he/she apply for OCI?

    Yes, as long as the local laws of at least one of the countries allow dual citizenship in some form or other, he/ she can apply for OCI.

  • Can a person registered as an OCI be granted Indian citizenship?

    Yes, as per the provisions of section 5(1) (g) of the Citizenship Act, 1955, a person who is registered as an OCI for 5 years and is residing in India for 1 year out of the above 5 years, is eligible to apply for Indian Citizenship. For more details, please refer link.   

  • What is the time taken for registration as OCI?

    Within 30 days of the application, if there is no adverse information available against the applicant. If any adverse information is available, the decision to grant or otherwise is taken within 120 days.

    For more details, please refer the following link.

  • Are there exemptions on income for Non-resident Indian (NRI)?

    Following incomes are exempt from tax in the hands of a Non-resident Indian (NRI):-
    1) Interest on notified savings certificates issued before 01-06-2002 by the Central Government if it is subscribed in convertible foreign exchange remitted from a country outside India
    2) Interest on notified bonds (notified prior to 01-06-2002) purchased in foreign exchange (subject to certain conditions)
    For more details, please refer to link

  • Which Income of an international worker is subject to tax in India. Where I can get more information about various taxes applicable in India?

    In general, all income received or accrued in India is subject to tax. Various types of income which are taxed are as follows:

    1) Employment income including perquisites and bonuses. Certain tax deductions and allowances can also be availed by employees.

    2) Self-employment and business income

    3) Investment income: Dividends/Interest

    4) Capital gains income

    5) Taxation on employer-provided stock options.

    For more details, please refer to link

  • Where can I find more information on visas to India?

    More information on visa can be found on concerned Indian Mission and Indian Visa Application Centre (IVAC) as well as online visa portal (link). The instructions for filling the form and scheduling the appointment can be seen at Instructions for Regular Visa Application. Important technical information for filling online Indian visa application can be referred at Technical Instructions.

    The status of Visa Application can be seen on the link for Visa Enquiry.

  • Can I apply for India visa at the airport? What are other formalities at airport regarding visa?

    No, it is not possible to apply for an India visa at the airport. Eligible citizens traveling for leisure/tourism purposes have the option to apply for an Indian ETA visa online, before they depart for India. Once visa is granted, citizens will have to get biometric information taken at the airport and the visa stamped on the passport on arrival in India.

  • What activities are permissible under Tourist Visa?

    Tourist Visa can be granted to a foreigner whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sight seeing, casual visit to meet friends or relatives, attending a short-term yoga programme, etc. and no other purpose/ activity. 

  • What does the salary threshold limit of US$ 25,000 per annum for employment visa include?

    The salary threshold limit of $ 25,000 per annum includes salary and all other allowances paid to the foreign national in cash. Prerequisites like rent free accommodation, etc. which are included in ‘salary’ for the purpose of calculating the income tax may also be taken into account for this purpose. However, prerequisites which are not included for working out the income tax should not be taken into account for working out the salary threshold limit of $ 25,000 per annum.

    The company / organisation concerned should clearly indicate in the employment contract:

    i) the salary and allowances being paid in cash.

    ii) all other prerequisites like rent free accommodation, which would be taken into account for the purpose of working out the income tax payable by the employee. Such prerequisites should also be quantified and indicated in the employment contract.

    For more details, please refer the following link.

  • Can a foreign national holding ‘E’ visa coming for honorary work draw a salary?

    A foreign national coming as a volunteer for honorary work with the NGOs registered in the country, may be paid an honorarium up-to a ceiling of INR 10,000 per month ($ 154 per month, subject to exchange rate fluctuations). 

  • If the Indian organization/entity sponsors an employment visa, does this mean that the Indian organization/entity has to necessarily be the legal employer of the person?

    No, it is not necessary for Indian organization/entity sponsoring an employment visa to necessarily be the legal employer of the person. 

  • Can foreign nationals already in India for executing projects on business visas be allowed to convert their business visas to employment visas without leaving the country?

    Business Visa shall be non-convertible to any other type of visa except in specific cases.

    For more details, please refer the following link.

  • Can a foreign company/organization that does not have any project office/subsidiary/joint venture/branch office in India, sponsor a foreign national/employee of a foreign company for employment visa ?

    No, employment visa has to be endorsed by an Indian “host” company.

  • Which type of visa would be granted to senior management personnel and/or specialists employed by foreign firms who are relocated to India to work on specific project/management assignment?

    Senior management personnel and/or specialists employed by foreign firms, who are relocated to India to work on specific project/management assignment can apply for employment visa. 

  • How long does it take to process an Indian visa (and e-Visa)?

    In case you are applying for visa other than a tourist visa, it is recommended that you apply for your India visa 3 to 4 weeks before your travel date. Although the visa itself may only take a few days to process, it is always advisable to add as much of buffer time as possible in case any issue arises during the process.

    A tourist visa (eTA) can be applied for 3-4 days in advance. The e-Visa is processed within 72 hours of filing the application and making an online payment.